Why Use Betadine® Mouthwash/Gargle?
BETADINE® Mouthwash/Gargle kills bacteria, fungi, spores, yeasts, protozoa and viruses:
- It is indicated for the treatment of infected inflammatory conditions of the mouth and pharynx including stomatitis, gingivitis, aphthous ulcers, pharyngitis, tonsillitis, monilial infections, common colds and influenza.
- As a prophylactic during and after surgery e.g. after tonsillectomy and dental procedures.
- Routine use to promote oral hygiene.
When Should You Not Use Betadine Mouthwash/Gargle?
- Do not use in patients hypersensitive to iodine or povidone or any other of the ingredients listed at the beginning of this leaflet.
- Do not use in patients with thyroid disorders (in particular nodular colloid goiter, endemic goiter and Hashimoto’s thyroiditis), as well as before and after radioactive therapy.
- It should not be used prior to radioiodine scintigraphy or radioiodine treatment of thyroid carcinoma.
- Do not use in children under 6 years of age.
Precautions For Use
What precautions have to be taken during the use of the product?
In instances of skin irritation or contact dermatitis or hypersensitivity, discontinue use.
Do not heat prior to application. Keep out of the reach of children.
Patients with goiter, thyroid nodules, or other thyroid diseases are at risk of developing thyroid hyperfunction from the administration of large amounts of iodine. In this patient population, povidone-iodine solution should not be applied for an extended period of time and to large areas of the skin unless strictly indicated. Even after the end of the treatment one should look for the early symptoms of possible hyperthyroidism and if necessary the thyroid function should be monitored.
Newborns and small infants are at increased risk of developing hypothyroidism from the administration of large amounts of iodine. Because of the permeable nature of their skin and their increased sensitivity to iodine, the use of povidone iodine should be kept to the absolute minimum in newborns and small infants. A check of the child’s thyroid function (e.g. T4 levels and TSH levels) may be necessary. Any possible oral ingestion of povidone-iodine by the infant must be absolutely avoided.
During pregnancy and lactation BETADINE® Mouthwash/Gargle should only be used under medical prescription. With false teeth, braces etc., the material from which they are made can sometimes become discoloured. It is therefore recommended to remove false teeth, braces etc. from the mouth before using BETADINE Mouthwash/Gargle.
Instructions For Use
How To Use Betadine Mouthwash/Gargle?
Adults, Elderly and Children over 6 years of age: Topical use Use undiluted or diluted with two parts of water.
- For prophylactic use, the solution should be allowed to act in the mouth for a minimum of 30 seconds.
- With existing lesions the mouth should be rinsed with the solution for two minutes, four times a day, especially after meals.
- The usual period of treatment (unless otherwise advised by your doctor) could last for about 14 days.
- If you forget to use your medication, use it as soon as you remember unless it’s time for the next application. Then follow the original instructions for use.
- The duration of treatment is decided by your doctor according to the indications of your problem.
- If there is no improvement of symptoms after 2-5 days of regular use of the product, consult your doctor.
- It’s not recommended for children below 6 years of age.