Each film coated tablet contains 500 mg Metronidazole. Excipients: Microcrystalline cellulose, povidone, starch,kollidon, silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate, methyl cellulose, polyethylene glycol, simethicone, talc and E171.
Each 5 ml oral suspension contains Metronidazole Benzoate equivalent to 125 mg Metronidazole. Excipients: Methyl and propyl parabens, sodium chloride, saccharin sodium, sucrose, sorbitol, povidone, carboxymethyl cellulose, silicon dioxide, hydrogenated castor oil, E211,banana liquid flavour and purified water.
Flazol is a brand name of metronidazole tablets and metronidazole benzoate oral suspension. Metronidazole is 5-nitroimidazole derivative readily absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and widely distributed into most body tissues and fluid. Metronidazole is active against anaerobic bacteria and protozoa.
- Intestinal giardiasis.
- Non-specific vaginitis.
- Anaerobic bacterial infections.
- Acute ulcerative gingivitis and acute dental infections.
- Surgical infection prophylaxis.
Flazol is contraindicated in- patients with known hypersensitivity to any of its components.
use cautiously in patients with a history of blood dyscrasia, central nervous system (CNS) disorder, hepatic disease and in those receiving hepatotoxic drugs.
Interaction with other drugs
- Metronidazole enhances cumarol and warfarin anicoagulant effect.
- Metronidazole increases phenytoin plasma concentration by its metabolism.
- Barbiturates reduce the metronidazole plasma concentration by accelerating its metabolism.
- Cimetidine increases metronidazole plasma concentration by inhibiting its metabolism.
- Metronidazole may increase lithium toxicity.
Use of metronidazole should be avoided during the first trimester of pregnancy and during lactation.
Dosage and Administration
- Adults: 500 mg 3 times daily for 7 to 10 days.
- Children: 35 to 50 mg/kg/day in 3 divided doses for 7 to 10 days.
Intestinal giardiasis dosage
- Adults: 1 g daily as a single dose or two divided doses for 5 to 7 days.
- Children: 15 mg/kg/day in two divided doses for 5 to 7 days.
A second treatment is advisable after 10 days interval.
2 gram as a single dose. Sexual partners should be treated concurrently.
Non- specific vaginitis dosage
500 mg twice daily for 7 days. Sexual partners should be treated concurrently.
Anaerobic bacterial infections dosage
- Adults: 1 g to 1.5 g per day for 5 to 7 days.
- Children: 20 to 30 mg/kg/day for 5 to 7 days.
Acute ulcerative gingivitis and acute dental infections
250 mg 3 times daily for 3 days.
Surgical infection Prophylaxis
Adults: 500 mg every 8 hours started 24 hours before surgery.
Children: 7.5 mg/kg every 8 hours started 24 hours before surgery.
Overdosage of metronidazole may produce nausea, vomiting, ataxia, seizures and peripheral neuropathy.
Induced emesis or gastric lavage is indicated. Activated charcoal and a cathartic may be used. Supportive therapy like diazepam or phenytoin may be used to control seizures.
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, metallic taste, rashes, urticaria, angioedema, headache and dizziness may occur.
On prolonged or intensive therapy: peripheral neuropathy, transient epileptic seizure and leukopenia may occur.
Consult your physician or pharmacist if any side effect is observed.
- Keep at room temperature (15 – 30) degree.
- Shake well the oral suspension before use.
- Do not use beyond the expiry date product or if the product shows any sign of deterioration.
THIS IS A MEDICAMENT: Medicament is a product which affects your health and it’s
consumption contrary to instructions is dangerous for you. Strictly follow the doctor’s prescription, the method of use and the instructions of the pharmacist who sold the
Medicarnent. The doctor and the pharmacists are experts in medicine, its benefits and risks.
Do not by yourself interrupt the period of treatment prescribed for you. Do not repeat the same without consulting your doctor. Kæp out of reach of children.
Manufactured by: TABUK PHARMACEUTICAL MANUFACTURING COMPANY, P.O. Box 3633, TABUK SAUDI ARABIA.
Patient information Leaflet
Categories: Agents that reduce seizure threshold; Alimentary Tract and Metabolism; Anti-Bacterial Agents; Anti-Infective Agents; Antibacterials for Systemic Use; Antiinfectives and Antiseptics for Local Oral Treatment; Antiinfectives for Systemic Use; Antiparasitic Agents; Antiprotozoals; Cytochrome P-450 CYP2A6 Substrates; Cytochrome P-450; Drugs for Acid Related Disorders; Drugs for Peptic Ulcer and Gastro-Oesophageal Reflux Disease (Gord); Gynecological Anti Infectives and Antiseptics; Imidazole Derivatives; Imidazoles; Miscellaneous Antiprotozoals; Miscellaneous Local Anti-infectives; Nitro Compounds; Nitroimidazole Antimicrobialز Tags: Imidazole derivatives; metronidazole; J01XD01.